Velehrad

The village of Velehrad is located among the spurs of the Chřiby Mountains, 7 km from Uherské Hradiště, in one of the most picturesque corners of Moravian Slovakia. It is an important spiritual center, a destination of frequent ecclesiastic pilgrimages, gatherings and Cyrillo-Methodian celebrations. Almost 1,400 inhabitants live in the area of 2,230 hectares.

Velehrad

History of Velehrad

The village of Velehrad has been connected to the metropolis of Archbishop Methodius since the middle ages and with the political-administrative center of the Great Moravian Empire in the ninth century. The oldest names of the village were Welgrad (1209), Welegrad (1220), Willegrad (1232), Welehrad (1247). On the basis of archeological findings we can infer that the Great Moravian Veligrad was localized in today’s Staré Město. In the cadastre of the village there are settlements from the neolithic period, the existence of which is supported with evidence from archeological findings – people of painted ceramics, barrow cultures of the middle Bronze Age and people of urn fields from the early Bronze Age.

Founding of Velehrad

Beginnings of the present-day Velehrad go back to the beginning of the 13th century when the first Cistercian monastery in Moravia was founded there. It was founded by a Moravian margrave, Vladislav Henry, close to the village of Veligrad (today’s Staré Město). Monks settled in Velehrad in November 1205. At the beginning, St. John’s church served them as a makeshift. The beginning of the construction of the monastery dates back to the second decade of the 13th century. An extensive complex of the monastery, constructed in the late Romanesque style with an influence of early Gothic, was finished in the 40’s of the 13th century when an extensive Baroque reconstruction was begun, which was finished only in the second half of the 18th century. Several artists participated on its decoration– e.g. stonemason Ondřej Allio, sculptor Baltazar Fontana, and painters Paulo Pagani and Ignác Raab.

The premises of the former monastery, with one of the biggest churches in our country belong to important cultural monuments, supporting the development of architecture and fine arts from the late Romanesque age up to now. The Cistercian monastery was closed in 1784. In 1890 the monastery was restored by the Society of Jesus. Jesuits had worked there till 1950. They came back again at the beginning of the 90’s.

History of the village is inseparably connected with the monastery. Its closing had many economic, social and cultural consequences for the serf estate. A portion of the inhabitants worked on the estate, in the manorial mill, brewery and brickyard. The brewery had been in operation until 1910. The brick making plant was in operation during the whole period of the First Republic. It was closed in 1948; and the sawmill in 1937. Due to a lack of job opportunities, the workmen looked for work outside the village. They left to work in Uherské Hradiště.

News

29. 6. 2013

Press Conference to the Days of the People of Goodwill in Pictures

On Thursday 27th June 2013 at 1 p.m. in the Exposition on the second floor of Baťa's skyscraper a press...

27. 6. 2013

Building Bridges with Christ: Czechs and Germans - Neighbors

In the year when the Czech Republic and Slovakia commemorate the 1150th anniversary of the arrival of the...

25. 6. 2013

Official Commemorative Medals Minted on the Occasion of the 1150th Anniversary of the Slavic Mission

On the occasion of the 1150th anniversary of the Slavic mission to Great Moravia, an official commemorative...

20. 6. 2013

Children have Taken the Way of the Two Brothers, Almost 3 Thousand Pictures have Arrived

Every year, since 2006, an art contest for children aged 3 to 11 titled "The Way of the Two Brothers" has been...

18. 6. 2013

Invitation to Velehrad Film Seminar

Roman Catholic parish Velehrad invites all those interested in film to the Velehrad spiritual film seminar.

17. 6. 2013

International Conference "EUROPEAN CULTURAL PATH OF SAINTS CYRIL AND METHODIUS"

ZLÍN, VELEHRAD – Already second international conference on the project titled "European Cultural Path of...

more news

  • Here are our roots.

    (Blessed John Paul II, 22nd April 1990, Velehrad)

    They wanted to become part of those nations and to share their destiny in everything. Here, in this place, at Velehrad, in Moravia, we can feel the historical legacy of the kingdom in a peculiar way – we can feel even those who became its keepers and guardians.

    (Blessed John Paul II)

  • For us, people of the present age, their apostolate contains even the elocution of the ecumenical appeal, i.e. to build unity again, in a peaceful reconciliation, which later after their deaths was heavily damaged, and in the first place the unity between the East and the West.

    (Blessed John Paul II)

  • Their work is also a very important contribution to the growth of the common Christian roots of Europe, which by their firmness and viability create one of the main contact points, which must be respected by every serious attempt at reunification of our continent in a new and topical way.

    (Blessed John Paul II)

  • The story of both brothers, Cyril and Methodius, is a distinct example of unity.

    Saints Cyril and Methodius contributed, to a great extent, to the building of Europe, not only regarding its Christian religious community but also concerning its civil and cultural unity.

    (Blessed John Paul II)

Velehrad – DAYS OF THE PEOPLE OF GOODWILL

FINANCIALLY SUPPORTED WEBSITE

Zlínský kraj

We cooperate

  • Senát PČRVláda ČR
    Poslanecká sněmovna PČRMinisterstvo kultury ČR
    Ministerstvo školství, mládeže a tělovýchovy ČRMinisterstvo zahraničních věcí ČR
    Česká biskupská konferenceAkademie věd České republiky
    Zlínský krajVelvyslanectví ČR při Svatém stolci
  • Jihomoravský krajOlomoucký kraj
    Římskokatolická farnost VelehradObec Velehrad
    Město Uherské HradištěMěsto Staré Město
    Město HodonínPravoslavná církev v českých zemích a na Slovensku
    Centrála cestovního ruchu Východní MoravyPETARDA PRODUCTION, a.s.
  • Three Brothers s.r.o.Univerzita Palackého v Olomouci
    Masarykova univerzitaUniverzita Karlova v Praze
    Slovácké muzeum v Uherském HradištiMoravské zemské muzeum v Brně
    Muzeum umění OlomoucCentrum Aletti
    Masarykovo muzeum v HodoníněCzechTourism

sitemap